all my little plans and schemes - nothing but a bunch of dreams. all i really needed to do - was maybe some love. i don't expect you to understand - the kingdom of heaven is in your hand. i don't expect you to wake from your dreams - too late for pride now it seems. why must we be alone? it's real, love - yes, it's real. -- john lennon

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Subbing has been fun, actually. There have been moments when the thought crosses my mind that I could actually do this for a living - teach music, I mean. In a school. I like the kids. I like having something important to give them. Then I remember why I can't do it. It BREAKS MY HEART to give fifteen minute lessons. I have a constant feeling of being interrupted, like I never get to finish a thought, like I can never quite say what I want to say because by the time we get in a proper warm-up there are three minutes left before the student has to go back to class. It kills me. Especially when the student WANTS to learn, WANTS more time, but can't get it. GAHHHHHHH. But then, teaching privately isn't quite right either. It breaks my heart just as much to HAVE the proper amount of time and resources for a lesson, but half the time it's like pulling teeth to get the kid to practice. Or they sit there with an attitude and don't want to take my advice. They don't know how lucky they are (just like I didn't know how lucky I was) to have parents supportive enough, and wealthy enough, to finance their music education, and they take it for granted.

I guess I just have to believe that whatever musical seeds I'm planting will grow into something good in the end, even if I won't see it happen.

Something else I've learned: I am NOT cut out to teach beginners. It is so unnatural for me. And no way do I have the patience. Some days I think that if I see one more kid pick his nose and then play the piano with the same fingers I will surely vomit on the buggary keys.

1 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

I'm glad you're enjoying subbing. Thanks for "following" me, by the way. At first, I just saw the little tiny picture and I thought, "what the heck is that?!" it scared me a little. But then I clicked on it and it wasn't scary at all, and it meant you were blog-stalking me. all good!

and ew.ew.ew.ew.ew. to the kid picking his nose and playing the piano. almost as bad as my friend who checked out a school laptop and checked the search history to find, well, "adult" content. yuck.

phone date after i emerge from finals insanity?!

8:31 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home